East Allen Township is a township in Northampton County, Pennsylvania, United States. East Allen Township is located in the Lehigh Valley region of the state.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 14.4 square miles, all of it land. It is drained by the Lehigh River via the Catasauqua and Monocacy Creeks. Its villages include Franks Corner, Jacksonville, Jamesville (also in Moore Township,) Seemsville (also in
Allen Township,) and Weaversville (also in Allen Township.)
Its numbered routes are east-to-west 248 and 329 and north-to-south 512 and 987. 329 and 987 join in Franks Corner to meet 248 in Bath, which 512 and 987 connect with Allentown and Bethlehem respectively to the south. Other local roads of note are Airport Road, Hanoverville Road, Jacksonville Road, Old Carriage Road, Seemsville Road, and Weaversville Road.
Craig's Scotch-Irish Settlement was established in 1728, and is the oldest settlement in Northampton County along the Catasauqua Creek. The Scotch-Irish Presbyterians of Allen Twp established a church in 1731. The first log church was built a year later in 1732. The present church was built in 1813, and is the 3rd church that was built by the congregation. Northampton County was formed in 1752, which included the settlement.
Built in 1757, Fort Ralston is located near Bath and was to protect settlers from Indian attacks during the French and Indian War. The fort was near the present intersection of Route 329 and Airport Rd.
The first burial in Horner’s Cemetery was in 1745, making it the oldest cemetery in Northampton County. It contains the graves of many of the region's earliest inhabitants. There are 21 veterans of four wars. Some of those buried there include John Ralston, a member of the Constitutional Convention and Continental Congress. There is a stone for Gen. Robert Brown, a personal friend of George Washington and owner of the "Friendship Tree". George Palmer, Surveyor-General of PA, and Surgeon-General Dr. Matthew McHenry are both buried there. James Ralston laid out the town of Bath PA and Gen. William Lattimore owned the first house there. Hugh Wilson was the founder of Northampton PA. All 3 are buried at Horner's Cemetery. The cemetery is in its 3rd year of restoration by local members of the community. A historical society is being formed.
East Allen Township was established in 1842 from what was Allen Tsp. With the new township boundaries, the settlement is now located in East Allen Twp.
The Township is served by the Northampton Area School District.
More information is available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Allen_Township,_Northampton_County,_Pennsylvania
and the township’s official website at www.eatwp.org/
Township Office: 5344 Nor-Bath Blvd, Northampton, 610-262-7961