Laurys Station (previously Slate Dam) is an unincorporated area in North Whitehall Township, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, about 9 miles north of Allentown and about 6 miles southeast of Slatington. Laurys Station is located along Pennsylvania Route 145, and is situated along the Lehigh River.
Laurys Station was initially known as "Slate Dam," after the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company built a large dam here in 1830. In 1832, David Laury established a hotel here, which would become a popular resort during the summer months. Laury would later become the settlement's postmaster (1853) and station agent, when the Lehigh Valley Railroad opened a station here in 1855. The Lehigh Valley Railroad's four track mainline was located directly in the middle of the town, which was situated around present-day Mauser Street. Laurys Station, at one point in time, had its own amusement park down by the river.
As of the 2010 census, Laurys Station was (95.2%) White, (.013%) African American, (.012%) Asian, (.0088%) from other races, and (.010%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were (.042%) of the population. There are 634 Female (51.%) and 609 Males (48.9%) with most of the population of 314 (25.2%) under 18 and 929 (74.7%) 18 and over. Ages 35-49 is the highest group 337 (27.1%) followed by 50-64 with 288 (23.1%), then 65 & over with 115 (9.2%), then 25-34 with 87 (.069%) and finally 20-24 with 65 (.052%).
Laurys Station is part of the Parkland School District
More information is available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurys_Station,_Pennsylvania