Lower Saucon Township is a township in Northampton County, Pennsylvania, United States. Lower Saucon Township is located in the Lehigh Valley region of the state, and geographically in the Saucon Valley According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 24.3 square miles, of which, 24.1 square miles of it is land and 0.2 square miles of it (0.62%) is water. The township is in the Delaware watershed and borders the Lehigh River to the north, which drains Lower Saucon except for the Leithsville area in the extreme south, which is drained by Cooks Creek east into the Delaware River.
North-to-south local thoroughfares include Route 378 in the extreme west, Route 412, and Lower Saucon Road in the east. Interstate 78 crosses Lower Saucon east-to-west with access from 412 at the Bethlehem/Hellertown line and Highway 33 in the northeast. Its villages include Bingen, Colesville (also in Lehigh County,) Leithsville, Lower Saucon, Redington, Seidersville, Shimersville, Steel City, Wassergass, and Wydnor.
Lower Saucon Township and Hellertown Borough are served by the Saucon Valley School District.
Lower Saucon Township was chartered in 1743, when it was still a part of Bucks County. It was established in the rich farmland along the Saucon Creek. The name is of Native American origin, from sakunk, meaning "at the mouth of the creek.” The township also included South Bethlehem until 1865 and Hellertown until 1872. German immigrants, convinced by Penn’s favorable description of the New World, settled Lower Saucon Township in large numbers, beginning in the 1730s. Some of the surnames of the early German settlers were Boehm, Wagner, Appel, Riegel, Lerch, Laubach, Oberley, Heller, Shimer, and Lutz. These early settlers were hardworking, and their farms prospered. There were numerous mills built to provide sawed wood, flour, textiles, paper, and gunpowder. Other early industry included lime kilns and the extracting of zinc and iron ore.
During the Revolutionary War, many German farmers enlisted in the Continental army to fight the British. At a time when the army’s reserves were depleted, they offered to sell wheat and rye on credit. In 1777, soldiers of the Continental army transporting the Liberty Bell to Allentown passed through Lower Saucon, spending a night in Leithsville. The Marquis de Lafayette, according to legend, stopped at Wagner’s Tavern in Hellertown on his way to Bethlehem during the war.
More information is available at
and the township’s official website at www.lowersaucontownship.org/
Township Office: 3700 Old Philadelphia Pike, Bethlehem, 610-865-3291