North Catasauqua is a borough in Northampton County, Pennsylvania, United States. North Catasauqua in located in the Lehigh Valley region of the state. The borough was founded in 1907. In August, 2008, Borough Council officially adopted and christened North Catasauqua as "small Town U.S.A.", with a campaign devised by the North Catasauqua Betterment Committee for the official recognition.
In 1907, the citizens of western Allen Township met at the Northampton Hotel, and signed a petition declaring the formation of the Borough of North Catasauqua. This petition was submitted to the county in early June, the final decree of incorporation was made on June 11, and was officially entered into the records on June 17. Shortly after the incorporation was made official, the first borough elections were held, with William H. Thomas becoming the first burgess, an office equivalent to a present day mayor.
Located between the larger boroughs of Catasauqua in Lehigh County, and Northampton in Northampton County, North Catasauqua quickly grew as businesses and residents came into the new borough. Eventually a police department was formed along with the Charotin Fire Department in 1909. A new combined firehouse and municipal building was built in 1911; prior to this, fire-fighting equipment was housed at the Hoffman and Follweiler stables. Church services were held around the borough at various places of worship including St. Lawrence Church (built in 1857), St. Andrew’s Church (built in 1903), and Holy Trinity Church (built in 1903).
The Charotin Fire Department was relocated to the municipal building site in 1980 with the building of a new combined fire station and public works garage. The North Catasauqua Public Works Department moved to its present location at the Main Street complex when the old Charotin fire station and municipal garages were sold in 1986. This new building included garages and an office, and allowed all of the public works’ equipment to be housed in one building. In 2004, an additional building was erected. This new facility allows for increased storage and includes bigger garage bays, offices, a break room, and shower facilities for employees. Additionally, a paved pathway leading down to the Lehigh Canal to path and Lehigh River was also created, along with a parking lot, for future public recreation at the river. North Catasauqua Borough celebrated the centennial of its incorpation with a year long centennial celebration in 2007.
The borough is served by the Catasauqua Area School District
As of 2010 census, the borough was (95.1%) White, (1.1%) African American, (.0091%) Asian, (.016%) from other races, and (.0098%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were (.51%) of the population. There are 1,445 Females (50.7%) and 1,404 Males (49.2%) with most of the population of 566 (19.6%) under 18 and 2,283 (80.1%) 18 and over. Ages 50-64 is the highest group 653 (22.9%) followed by 35-49 with 612 (21.4%), then 65 & over with 451 (15.8%), then 25-34 with 359 (12.6%) and finally 20-24 with 148 (5.1%).
Borough Office: 1066 Fourth Street, PO Box 150, North Catasauqua, 610-264-1504